Zimmermania

Monday, September 17, 2007

Hip shaping for baby leggings

I am making my first EZ project - the baby leggings from February in the Knitter's Almanac. I am so impressed by all the wonderful variations posted on this blog! I have a question about the hip shaping. EZ's text says she increases 2 stitches every 3rd row, but the "pithy" directions seem to suggest that you increase 4 stitches (2 before and after the 3 stitches marked at the front and back centers). If so, how do you go from 84 initial stitches to the 126 EZ says you should have before dividing for the legs?


Also - not to mix subjects - but I have my eye on the February baby bonnet, too. Although I see a general description in the February text, I don't see the details of the pattern written up in the Almanac. Does it appear in any of the other EZ books?


Wendy

4 Comments:

  • My copy of KA says "Inc 1 st each side of marked sts every 3rd rnd" for the hip shaping. Perhaps some confusion comes from her mentioning in the text that you decrease "two stitches every third round," which would come out the same as the above but sounds different.

    At any rate, the ones I just finished turned out fine following the pithy directions.

    By Blogger ejmh, at 8:54 PM  

  • Hi ejmh:

    So, did you mark 3 stitches at the front center and 3 stitches at the back center? If you're increasing 1 st at each side of marked sts every 3rd round, wouldn't that make the total increase 4 st/round?

    By Blogger wrieder, at 2:59 PM  

  • Oops! Right you are! I'm sorry for not re-reading what I wrote and for not getting out the leggings (good thing I hadn't mailed them off yet!) to look at what I did.

    I did increase one stitch each side of the marked stitches, front and back, for a total of four stitches in each increase row.

    It doesn't come out quite even -- you need to increase 42 stitches, so I increased 10 times (30 rows) and then increased just two stitches the next time. That gave me the 126 I needed. (84 plus 40 plus 2). It looks like it should, so I think it's OK.

    By Blogger ejmh, at 7:13 PM  

  • Sorry for not answering earlier- I did the increase rows just like ejmh has said, four increases every third round and then two increases in the last round. When I took out the leggings, I actually found some mistakes I made... but I guess one notices only when you look VERY CLOSE.
    Good luck!

    By Blogger meyer, at 3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home